Landscape Architect / Certified Arborist
Harriet Grimm is a registered landscape architect and certified arborist with three decades’ experience designing, guiding and implementing complex multi-discipline projects. Her work has primarily focused on projects in the public realm, including parks, schools, streetscapes, roadways and infrastructure. She has deep knowledge of New York City and State agency design requirements, including bidding and construction procedures. As both a landscape architect and certified arborist, Harriet works to preserve and protect trees and other natural site assets during construction. She brings to each project a valuable understanding of sustaining natural systems in an urban context. At Starr Whitehouse, Harriet supports the design team with constructability and quality assurance reviews.
Prior to joining Starr Whitehouse, Harriet was a Senior Associate and Landscape Studio Director at Saratoga Associates’ NYC Office, where she directed design and implementation of the award-winning Daylighting of the Saw Mill River in Yonkers, NY. She oversaw the preparation of the award-winning communications document for the Preliminary Re-design of Mosholu Parkway in the Bronx, and the design and implementation of 42 school play and outdoor educational facilities. Her work encompasses a full range of projects, including restoration of the Crown Hill Vista at the Olana State Historic Site, as well as design of a new parkway entrance to Niagara Falls State Park. Other public institutions, including the Queens Botanical Garden and the New York Botanical Garden, have entrusted her with reconstruction projects.
Previously, Harriet was an Associate Landscape Architect at Abel Bainnson Butz where her diverse portfolio included completion of projects for the NYS and NYC Departments of Transportation, NYC Department of Design and Construction; and NYC School Construction Authority. Notably, Harriet managed ABB’s Landscape Inspection Services team, which monitored reconstruction of 300 parks and playgrounds for the NYC Parks Department over a five-year period. In addition to these experiences, Harriet maintains her own consulting practice.
- Jones Beach State Park, West Games, Wantagh, NY
- Empire State Trail Gateway Sites, Various NY
- Freshkills South Park, Staten Island, NY
- City of Hudson Landfill—North Bay Connector, Hudson, NY
- Niagara Falls Entrance, Robert Moses Parkway, Niagara Falls, NY*
- Crown Hill Restoration, Olana State Historic Site, Hudson, NY*
- Daylighting the Saw Mill River, Van der Donck Park, Yonkers, NY*
- Mosholu Parkway, Preliminary Design Report, Bronx, NY*
- 34th St and 1st & 2nd Ave Select Bus Service, New York, NY*
- Re-imaging Gardens on Parade, Queens Botanical Garden, Queens, NY*
- Entrance Fountain, New York Botanical Garden, Bronx, NY*
- Affordable & Supported Housing, Various; Landscapes, Bronx, NY*
- TCAT High School Greenhouse Classroom, Brooklyn, NY*
- PS-154, Windsor Terrace School, Playground, Brooklyn, NY*
- Highbridge Green School, Bronx, NY*
- Grover Cleveland High School, Athletic Fields, Queens, NY*
*Work completed prior to Starr Whitehouse