Kirk Hiatt is a landscape designer with a background in the visual arts and a graduate degree in landscape architecture. He comes to Starr Whitehouse with four years of experience that includes design for residential gardens, urban parks, art installations, playgrounds, and urban master plans across New England, Ohio, and Arkansas. His graduate thesis focused on the relationship between playground design, landscape, ecology, and their effects on child development, culminating in the construction of a new landscape-oriented playground at the Columbus School for Girls in Columbus, Ohio. He applied many of the lessons learned at Columbus Playground to the design of Burlington, Vermont’s first universally accessible playground at Oakledge Park.
As a designer, Kirk is committed to formal originality and is passionate for work that is concise, intelligent, and poetic while honoring the ecological and cultural context of a given site. With his background in the visual arts, he excels in the production of high-quality and rigorous graphics for Starr Whitehouse and is well-versed in every stage of the design process. With this experience, Kirk brings a diversified set of creative and practical design skills to the Starr Whitehouse team.
- Freshkills South Park, Staten Island, NY
- Catskill Art Center, Livingston Manor, NY
- Atlantic Chestnut Affordable Housing, Brooklyn, NY
- St. Barnabas Hospital Annex, Bronx, NY
- Crossroads Plaza, Bronx, NY
- Oakledge Park Playground, Burlington, VT*
- Symphony Park, Somerville, MA*
- Heritage Park, El Dorado, AR*
- Grain Mill Alley, Lexington, MA*
- ArtFarm, Somerville, MA*
- Hawken School Campus, Gates Mills, OH*
- Healey Mystic Master Plan, Somerville, MA*
- El Dorado Entertainment District Master Plan, El Dorado, AR*
* Work completed prior to joining Starr Whitehouse